This is the home of the Nexus Tales RPG – a somewhat cinematic version of our world, as it might be some steps into the future and just a few steps sideways into the unusual.
Fast, flexible rules designed to keep things flowing, allow characters to get things done and focus on the action in a wide, multifaceted world.
What There Is
High technology, things that lurk in the darkness, honour and meaning, , Organisations working against each other to turn a profit, a status quo maintained by the UN, agents of Her Majesty’s Weirdest protecting this green and pleasant land, overlaps with other worlds allowing travel both ways, beings from other places who walk amongst us, life energy that can be wielded to do things, implants and augmentations, big guns, intelligent machines, secrets to unearth, places to explore, nature vying with technology, dirigibles ply the skies and steamboats ply the seas, Atlantis hovers off the coast, Orbitals glint among the stars, luncheon at the Londinium club and helping fellow members out of sticky situations, creatures of myth and nightmare are disbelieved or their existence suppressed, cults seek forbidden knowledge, spirits roam the seas and skies damaging artefacts of man, medichines repair and improve the body, 3d printers and nano-forges churn out a plethora of items, the rich and powerful live out their lives in lofty skyplexes, discreet operatives take care of the problems most people don’t even know about, daring heroes-in-the-making seek their fortune, wheels within wheels within wheels turn to complete plans, massive armoured steam trains travel from city to city, ferocious storms encircle the island, utopians live wealthy and healthy, enclavists live in small communities, nomads travel the uncity, priests seek out the urban shaman…
…And much, much more.
Where Things Happen
There is an island, which has been mostly abandoned by it’s inhabitants. Around the island are impenetrable storms. On the island is a valley, containing a city hundreds of miles across.
This near-utopia uses nano forges and 3d printers to supply all wants – from food to clothes, medichines to toys. People live long, no-one goes hungry, no-one works if they don’t want to, knowledge is free, disease is a choice, there are no wars, crime is low.
Beyond the 1km heights of the valley walls are enclaves of people who want things other than the City. There are abandoned cities, devastated lands. To the north are the clan lands of Ecosse. To the East are the fenlands of Cymru.
Within the city, technology is abundant and high. Beyond the city, nature is the master and technology will bring storms and the land itself rising up.
There are places where the world overlaps with other places, and people can pass from to the other.
Who Are The Player Characters
All Characters have the same 3 Facets, which define how well they can do a variety of things – the higher the Facet Rating, the more capable they are.
- Physical – anything to do with dexterity, reflexes, strength, fitness is handled by this facet
- Mental – anything to do with knowledge, learning, science, reasoning, designing, making is handled by this facet
- Social – anything to do with interaction, communication, sharing information is handled by this facet
How Things Are Done
- Determine the Difficulty Value (DV) [which is based on the relevant Difficulty Rating (DR)]
- Roll 2d10,
- Add the Facet Value (FV) [which is based on the relevant Facet Rating (FR)],
- Compare the Success Value (SV) to the Difficulty Value (DV) [which is based on the Difficulty Rating (DR)],
- Implement the result, based on the Success Rating (SR) [which is based the difference between the Difficulty Value (DV) and the Success Value (SV)].
The career focuses the Facet so the character can accomplish things.
- Facet Rating (Feeble) = +1 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Facet Rating (Mediocre) = +3 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Facet Rating (Competent) = +6 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Facet Rating (Superior) = +10 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Facet Rating (Extraordinary) = +15 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Facet Rating (Awesome) = +21 Facet Value to Success Rolls
- Difficulty Rating (Simple) = Difficulty Value 6 to overcome
- Difficulty Rating (Easy) = Difficulty Value 10 to overcome
- Difficulty Rating (Routine) = Difficulty Value 13 to overcome
- Difficulty Rating (Tricky) = Difficulty Value 16 to overcome
- Difficulty Rating (Challenging) = Difficulty Value 21 to overcome
- Difficulty Rating (Heroic) = Difficulty Value 28 to overcome
- Succeed by 0 = Success Value of 0 = Success Rating (Feeble) = Much worse than expected results
- Succeed by 1-2 = Success Value of 1-2 = Success Rating (Mediocre) = Worse than expected results
- Succeed by 3-5 = Success Value of 3-5 = Success Rating (Adequate) = Result is as expected
- Succeed by 6-9 = Success Value of 6-9 = Success Rating (Superior) = Better than expected results
- Succeed by 10-14 = Success Value of 10-14 = Success Rating (Extraordinary) = Much better than expected results
- Succeed by 15-20 = Success Value of 15-20 = Success Rating (Awesome) = Much much better than expected results
Why Use These Rules
1. The Nexus Tales RPG rules are free to download and use.
Download them for free, play with them, critique them, change them around, enjoy them.
Just respect the Creative Commons License – allowing you to share the rules, remix the rules, but not make money from the rules.
2. You can use the rules without using the written setting.
The only limits on how and when to use the rules are that they remain copyright of me and you don’t use them to make money – see the Creative Commons License for details.
3. The rules are simple and easy to use.
A single 2d10 roll determines success or failure, as well as the degree of success or failure, using numbers that are short and easy to work with – so the rules are easy to remember and use.
4. The rules are consistent throughout.
The same simple and flexible rules are used all the time, so you only need to know 1 way to do things – shooting someone or designing a gadget, gathering information or climbing a wall, casting a spell or driving a car.
5. These rules can interface with many other RPGs.
These rules can be used instead of many others, for a different feel to your current game.
If your current game uses attributes and/or skills in the 1-20 range, the stepped values of 11, 13, 16, etc are ideal.
If your current game uses attributes and/or skills in the 1-6 range, the stepped values are ideal.
You can use 3d6 or 2d10 for resolving Success Rolls.
6. There are several strata of play available, as well as several types of area to play in.
Streetlevel gang or company operative, national level or company wide troubleshooter, specialist or smallscale indie operator.
Work for the UN, work for one of the TranNationals, explore Overlaps, work for Her Majesty’s Weirdest, help fellow members of the Londinium Club.
7. The setting is a multifaceted whole, so just use the bits you want.
There’s high tech, there’s majik, there are wild areas, there are city areas, there’s intrigue, there are other worlds to explore, there are governments, there are companies, there are outsiders to deal with, there’s a war of nature v technology, there are monsters, there’s conspiracy, there are gadgets, there are guns, there’s action, there are consequences, there are legends in the making, there’s streetlevel, there are reasons to do things.
8. The game is about rolling a few dice, interacting with other players and doing things.
The rules are streamlined, straightforward, flexible, consistent and robust – so you can get on with having fun, talking to other players to enhance the game, and not spend your time worrying too much about what rule to use when.
9. It’s a homegrown piece of work.
There’s plenty of scope for you to expand the game and add your own ideas and content. If I like what I see, and you agree, your ideas could end up in the “official” rules.
If things work out, there’ll be the opportunity to work with me, make some money and share in the rewards on a % basis.
There’s a million tales to be explored, what’s your Nexus Tale going to be about ??